Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Walk With Mesrop Mashtots & St. Grigor

Today after spending the morning working on boring stuff (figuring out the process of getting a new phone, outlining my budget, contacting a few people), I had to get out of the hostel and walk around in the beautiful (surprisingly hot) weather. Since I had only explored the top half of Yerevan, I decided to walk down one of the main streets (Mesrop Mashtots) and to the south on Grigor Luysavorich (Gregory the Illuminator Street) to see the sights and maybe hit up a museum or two before I headed back home.

Here's the idea:




My first stop was the Blue Mosque, which is a little funny, since Armenia is much more known for its beautiful churches and monasteries than Muslim architecture of any kind.


However, I was very happy to find this place--there's a beautiful, shady courtyard in front of the actual mosque itself that was a wonderful respite from the city clamor.

I sat down at a bench in the courtyard to take it all in and relax. I've been a little stressed the past two days (I'm getting a little antsy to move into my apartment and get settled, make friends, etc.) so I needed it.

The actual mosque.

Walking around the courtyard made me feel like I was in Tehran, not Yerevan! (Which isn't surprising--the mosque's recent reconstruction was paid for by the government of Iran)
((Side note--can Americans even go to Tehran?? I've met a bunch of people at the hostel from Iran/Europeans who have traveled there and it sounds--aside from the political insanity--so wonderful!))

In front of the mosque was an old apartment building with balconies overlooking the courtyard. If I didn't have an apartment already set up, I think I would've knocked on the door and asked them if I could rent out the top room--it would have such a good view!

Outside the mosque, I found this great street corner--I know it's a bad picture, but I love the Armenian flag and the statue of Mother Armenia way in the back.

Another apartment I want to live in! I love the little catty-corner balconies.

My next stop was Saint Sargis church, which was on my map but only briefly mentioned; just a nice, very old church that was restored. It was so beautiful, though unfortunately sandwiched between a bunch of Soviet-era apartments. A bunch of people were walking casually in and out, so I wandered in myself, only to realize a wedding was being performed! I quickly scuttled out but nobody seemed to care.

Yerevan has a very dry climate compared to Tennessee, but luckily there are little stone water fountains all over the city.


From Saint Sargis, you can see Mt. Ararat!

Further along my walk I came upon this--Yerevan's Institute of Linguistics?! I need to do some googling.

After my walk, I stopped at the mini-mart to look at food and buy a little snack. I love the juice cartons!

Festival of Bread, TM

At the store I found a bottle of carbonated tan, which from what I gather is a kind of yogurt drink. It tasted like really spoiled milk that had been carbonated in an old gym sock, but it was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment